Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Day 15: Chief Nanna's house--Asenemaso

We're finally in the town we will be working in. We were greeted by the chief and he fed us an dis now housing us until Sunday. After the organized ritual of introductions, we went around the town, visiting the library site and the classrooms we will be teaching in. In addition, we met many children and few adults. I feel a great sense of welcome here and that the people really do want us here in their community. I felt warmth from Wa, but not like here in Asenesmaso. They know we're here to work. The children followed us the entire time we were in the town and I feel much more comfortable working with them. I was nervous and very stressed before I left, but I just needed to give that up to God and accept that He will provide me with strength to do his work. We haven't picked our teaching partners yet, but Asha (a girl Mike taught last summer) specifically wants me to teach with him so that I can be her teacher! I was really excited that the children are already responding to our presence. There are so many children here! Most of the children are relatively young, such as ages 4-12. They do something hilarious: they catch beetles and tie them to strings and parade them around as pets! I first connected with the kids in this way. They gave me the beetle and I chased them around with it.

I'm so excited about the work. We'll actually be living in this community for 6 weeks! We'll make great friends and learn how life in Asenemaso exists. Maybe I won't even want to leave.

Our team is really starting to bond together. It was relatively awkward before we left, but not that we're here, everything is starting to flow together. I'm very happy to know that I will be making some life-long friends on this trip.

Our journey up here was quite exciting; our own trotro was that of Little Miss Sunshine (push starting the van) and we almost got in multiple accidents (but that was expected). Right now, eight of us are jam packed in one room with Elliott on the mandolin and Mike on guitar singing Coldplay. I'm so excited to know that God's going to transform us and use us as his instruments. Kat and I have been lucky enough to already undergo this transformation.

No comments: