Thursday, May 8, 2008

Day 2: Dr. Boeteng's house--Accra

Even though I've been here for over 12 hours, I still cannot believe Kat and I are in Africa! The landing of the plane gave us a small peek at the beauty we would encounter. The thick, lush vegetation broke away the stereotype of Africa being a desolate and barren continent. It is a hint and clue to the life and spirit of the Ghanaian people. Everyone I have encountered has been kind and generous (something you would never find in the states!). Frank (Dr. Boeteng's nephew) was very hospitable and drove us around for cedis, sim cards, and water. What a great sense of humor he has! We were so relieved to notice his light-hearted and carefree nature. I am told that all Africans are like this.

Accra resembles Tijuana quite well, a mix of wealth and poverty. Those who drive Mercedes are on roads were the poor stand in between lanes to sell gum and the local newspaper. At first, I was shocked to see such wealth in Accra, but then I realized the gap between rich and poor is always very large. It also shocks and surprises me how so many ignore this gap in every country. But I suppose that is one of the great mysteries of the human race; the ability to overlook in justice of their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Ah, I'm going off on a tangent that always leaves me angry and frustrated. I better stop now.

Other details: the heat is quite amazing. I must admit, Ghana heat puts Phoenix heat to shame, with spit and a slap across the face. If feels like we're in a campfire and it smells like it, too. The humidity is what's really getting to me; I can't tell if I"m sweating or the moisture form the air is on my skin. God help me adjust. I had my first encounter with an African mosquito just moments ago, but I am covered in 100% Deet that should keep them off me. It's still as hot as it was during the day; Kat and I are slightly disappointed. We are embarking on a 10 hour journey to Wa tomorrow starting at 6 AM. Even though we've been sleeping since 5 PM on this pillowless mattress, I know we'll sleep soundly until morning.

We didn't really want to come this early to Ghana, we were actually quite stressed about it. But over a conversation at JFK, we both realized God has a reason for us being in Africa a week and a half earlier than our groups. We're not sure what that is yet, but God knows and we must learn to trust Him here in this beauty country of Ghana.

No comments: