Friday, May 30, 2008

Day 24: Blackout--Cape Coast

We ventured into Cape Coast today and we will be spending the rest of the weekend here. We are all so grateful to be able to take a mini-vacation. After three weeks, I already feel like I need one. Life in Africa is difficult. Not bad, just really hard. Even walking down the street poses a challenge. It's so much easier because we have a deadline for this trip and we have each other. I remember how burnt out Kate and I felt after 2 weeks of being here. We just wanted to see everyone! But now that we're together, everything is so much easier.

I am growing with these people and it's an amazing thing. Never before have I been progressing down the same path as someone else. I always thought I had to walk it alone, but now I'm finding that life is so much better if you walk with someone else. Even just being around the team gives me comfort and brings me security. Tonight, the entire city of Cape Coast lost power. We had to walk half a mile back to our hostel from the beach bar in hear pitch darkness. I'll admit, I was freaked out. But all I had to do was reach out and grab Kat's hand and I felt instantly more protected.

I think our team is a good little example of a real Christian community. Here we are in Ghana, teaching kids, building a library, helping the community, have daily spiritual discussions, and looking out for each other. I don't intend for us to boast about ourselves, but we are growing in Christ together. Just the other day, I gave my testimony to four other girls and they gave us theirs. I felt so strong that night because I knew God was working in us.

Cape Coast is quite an impoverished place for being a coastal city. But nevertheless, the beauty of the beach has taken over. How breathtaking it was to stand right by the Cape Coast Castle overlooking the sea, waves crashing fiercely against the rocks with a painted purple sunset beyond a sand beach with rows of towering palm trees. The saltiness and freshness of the African coast filled my lungs with rejuvenation as I gazed out into the never ending horizon of the Atlantic Ocean. To be alone with God and His earth enriched my spirit. But then to be in the constant company of real Christians is a blessing and a building block for my life. This is going to be a good weekend.

No comments: