Friday, May 9, 2008

Day 3: Evelyn's house--Wa

Kat and I are safe in the house of Evelyn under our mosquito nets and the continuous baby goat noises (Kat just informed me that goats "bleat", whatever). Our 12 hour long car ride from Accra was quite an experience; I will never criticize anyone's driving in the States ever again. Mass chaos and anarchy are the governing laws of the Ghanaian roads, littered with passing pedestrians and confused livestock. It's somewhat of an analogy of Ghana's social problems: there's a lot of issues, but slow progress is being made. Kat and I got many stares, smiles, waves, and callings today. I guess you could say were were somewhat of a celebrity (that words makes me gag). It was an interesting feeling to be a minority, but one that I needed. I was humbled by the sheer beauty of the Ghanaian; the were no make-up and don't dye their hair, yet they were some of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen. All of American women should experience this.

Beauty seems to be the theme of today, with the people and the land. My new love is the Ghanaian landscape; dense, thick, piercing green vegetation amidst towering trees and red dirt. Absolutely breathtaking. Just another tribute to the glory of God.

No comments: